Saturday, February 1, 2014

Goal Setting / Failure.

So a few weeks ago as I was getting ready for the new year, I took a moment to reflect on the past year. 2013 was a great year for us as a family and myself as a person. There are many areas where I can say that I have changed and am not where I was in 2012.

The one area though where I felt quite disappointed this past year was in my goal setting. I guess the goal setting part was not a problem. It is easy to set goals. Anybody can say I will do x, y and z in the next 6 months. The problem I had was more in the actual implementing of the goals. I can safely say that most of them started well. All them did not continue for the remainder of the year. And so, when looking back, I started to feel like a failure and did not want that feeling again this year. So I committed to setting one goal at the beginning of the year. And that goal was to be super easy so there was a very slim chance of failure. :)

As I thought about this more and more I started to think about how there is no growth without stretching. There is no win without work and sacrifice. Then after listening to our campus pastor talk about his goal setting and what it meant to him every year, I decided that this year was not going to be an easy year. I would rather look back at the end of the year and see failure of a goal that I didn't finish, than the regret of not trying anything at all.

And so I look forward to this year as a year of challenge once again. Is there a chance of failure? You bet there is!!! But I go forth anyway trying to overcome the temptation of failure and strive for the goal that will help to make me a stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment